Search the Collection
Anne Boleyn (circa 1500-1536), Second Queen of Henry VIII
Sitter associated with 22 portraits
The second wife of Henry VIII, Anne was associated with the King from 1527 and secretly married him in 1533, shortly before Henry's divorce from Katherine of Aragon was completed. Later in the same year their daughter Princess Elizabeth (later Elizabeth I) was born. By 1536 Henry had grown tired of Anne, and, still desperate for a male heir began to doubt the legitimacy of their marriage. That same year Anne was charged with adultery and incest and was executed at the Tower of London.
by Henry Hering
albumen carte-de-visite photomontage, 1862
after Unknown artist
line engraving, probably 18th century
- WebQuest: Henry VIII's Next Wife?
- Thank you for supporting the conservation of the portrait of Anne Boleyn
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- WebQuest: Henry VIII - Man Versus Myth
- Early Kings and Queens: a set of panel portraits
- Shakespeare quiz
- Conservation treatment of a portrait of Anne Boleyn