King Edward VI(1537-1553), Reigned 1547-53
Sitter associated with 47 portraits
The only son of Henry VIII and his third wife Jane Seymour, Edward succeeded his father in 1547 aged nine. Scholarly and firmly Protestant, he ruled during his minority with the help of a council, but was dominated by the policies of his two Protestant Protectors, first Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset and then John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland. The latter induced Edward to will the crown to Lady Jane Grey, in order to ensure the Protestant succession. Edward died of tuberculosis shortly before his sixteenth birthday.
by Unknown artist
after Unknown artist
published by Adam Islip, and published by William Stansby, after Unknown artist
- WebQuest: Henry VIII's Next Wife?
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Edward VI
- The Tudors
- Paintings associated with Guillim Scrots: some technical evidence
- Tudor pick up guides
- Paint analysis as a tool for understanding artistic process
- English Workshops: work in progress on 'Master John' & other 1540s native painters