George Bernard Shaw
13 of 147 portraits of George Bernard Shaw
George Bernard Shaw
by Madame Yevonde
Vivex colour print on black card mount, 1937
13 1/4 in. x 10 3/8 in. (337 mm x 263 mm)
Given by Madame Yevonde, 1971
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950), Playwright. Sitter in 147 portraits, Artist associated with 8 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Madame Yevonde (1893-1975), Photographer. Artist associated with 320 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Gibson, Robert; Roberts, Pam, Madame Yevonde: Colour, Fantasy & Myth, 1990 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 July - 1 October 1990), p. 61
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 560
Events of 1937back to top
Current affairsGeorge VI becomes king. The younger brother of Edward VIII was crowned on the 12th May and the coronation was broadcast to Britain and the Empire on the radio. Edward becomes the Duke of Windsor, although the rank of 'Royal Highness' is not extended to Wallis Simpson.
Neville Chamberlain becomes Prime Minister following Baldwin's retirement.
Art and scienceRoland Penrose organises a tour of Picasso's painting Guernica to the UK. The painting, which shows the horrors of the Spanish Civil War, went on display at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in East London.
A new synthetic fabric is invented and named after New York and London: Nylon.
InternationalCommercial airship travel is brought to an end with the 'Hindenberg Disaster'. The German airship exploded while landing in New Jersey. The radio broadcaster Herbert Morrison's reaction has become legendary: 'Oh, the humanity!'
Japan invades China, killing about 25,000. Japanese Troops committed numerous atrocities against soldiers and civilians in what became known as the 'Rape of Nanking'.
- Conquering England
- Yousuf Karsh
- Born in 1856
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - George Shaw <> Joseph Joachim
- Only Connect - George Shaw <> Harriet Cohen
- Only Connect - Harriet Cohen <> George Shaw
- Only Connect - installation video
- Goddesses and Others
- A Question of Identity: Self-Portrait Photographs 1850-2000
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- Learn more