© National Portrait Gallery, London
Cambridge University Rowing Crew
by Bassano Ltd Click on the links below to find out more
whole-plate glass negative, 1920
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962). Artist associated with 42733 portraits.
- H.O.C. Boret, Rower. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- John Alan Campbell (1899-1939), Rower; Olympian. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Arthur Frederic William Dixon (1892-1948), Rower and Secretary, Madras Government. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Percival Hubert Graham Horton-Smith Hartley (1896-1977), Rower and Colonel and House Master at Eton College. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Robin Talbot Johnstone (1901-1976), Rowing cox; Olympian. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- R.I.L. McEwen, Rower. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Humphrey Blake Playford (1896-1981), Rower. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- J.H. Simpson, Rower. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Alfred Swann (1893-1961), Rower, Archdeacon of Hong Kong and Canon Emeritus of Salisbury Cathedral. Sitter in 1 portrait.
The Government of Ireland Act (Fourth Home Rule Bill) partitions Ireland into the Irish Free State with a devolved parliament in Dublin and Northern Ireland with a devolved parliament in Belfast.The Communist Party of Great Britain is founded in London, uniting a number of independent socialist and Marxist parties into a single, united party.
Art and science
Queen Alexandra unveils a monument to Edith Cavell in St Martin's Place opposite the National Portrait Gallery. The English nurse was executed in Germany for helping hundreds of allied soldiers to cross the border from occupied Belgium to the neutral Netherlands.George V officially opens the Imperial War Museum at the Crystal Palace.
The Kapp Putsch threatens the newly formed Weimar Republic. In defiance of the Treaty of Versailles, the leaders of the Marinebrigade Ehrhardt refused to disband and marched on Berlin, occupying it on the 13th March. With the general army refusing to defend the city, the government fled to Stuttgart. The rebellion, however, failed after the workers joined a general strike, disabling their plans.