Samuel Augustus Barnett
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Samuel Augustus Barnett
by George Frederic Watts
oil on canvas, 1887
26 1/8 in. x 21 in. (663 mm x 534 mm) overall
Bequeathed by, 1936
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Samuel Augustus Barnett (1844-1913), Church of England clergyman and social reformer. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Artist associated with 90 portraits, Sitter in 43 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 35
Events of 1887back to top
Current affairsQueen Victoria celebrates her Golden Jubilee, marking 50 years of her reign. In what becomes known as 'Bloody Sunday', or the Trafalgar Square Riot, the police attack a meeting of the Social Democratic Federation, led by among others) Elizabeth Reynolds, John Burns, Annie Besant and Robert Cunninghame-Graham, killing three and injuring more than 200 crowd members.
Art and scienceA Study in Scarlet, the first of Arthur Conan Doyle's detective mysteries featuring Sherlock Holmes and his assistant Dr Watson, is published. One of only four novels (there were a further 56 short stories) featuring Holmes, the mystery turns around the discovery of a corpse in Brixton.The essayist and critic Walter Pater publishes Imaginary Portraits in which he consolidates his doctrine of Aestheticism, 'art for art's sake'.
InternationalBritain ratifies the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, thus accepting the terms of the International Copyright Act (1886), which abolishes the requirement to register foreign works and introduces an exclusive right to import or produce translations.The British annex Zululand; it becomes part of Natal in 1897.
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- G.F. Watts Portraits: Fame & Beauty in Victorian Society
- The Watts Collection
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- Watts handlist
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron:
‘Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens’
Related shop items
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Companion Series: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle
- Companion Series: Tennyson and his Circle
- Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision Catalogue (Paperback)
- Anarchy & Beauty: William Morris and his legacy - 1860 - 1960
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- George Frederic Watts DVD
- Ellen Terry ('Choosing') by George Frederick Watts Mini-print