by Unknown artist
oil on panel, late 16th century
25 in. x 20 in. (635 mm x 508 mm)
Purchased with help from the Art Fund, the Pilgrim Trust, H.M. Government and Gooden & Fox Ltd, 1968
Click on the links below to find out more:
Linked publicationsback to top
- Clare Gittings, The National Portrait Gallery Book of Elizabeth I, 2006, p. 3
- MacLeod, Catherine, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection at Montacute House, 1999, p. 9
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 34
- Ribeiro, Aileen; Blackman, Cally, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 46
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 109
Events of 1570back to top
Current affairsPope Pius V issues a Papal 'bull' excommunicating Queen Elizabeth I from the Catholic Church. The bull provokes widespread anti-Catholicism in England. Elizabeth contemplates marriage with either Charles, Archduke of Austria or Henri, Duke of Anjou.
Art and sciencePublication of The Scholemaster by the royal tutor Roger Ascham, which popularises the educational views of the English nobility. The mathematician and antiquary John Dee's preface to the first English translation of Euclid's Elements of Geometrie anticipates the experimental science of the seventeenth century.The Italian architect Andrea Palladio published I Quattro Libri dell'Architettura (The Four Books of Architecture).
InternationalTreaty of St Germain-en-Laye ends the Third War of Religion in France. Huguenots (French Protestants) are granted religious freedom and the Huguenot leader Admiral Gaspard de Coligny becomes a dominant force at court.The Treaty of Stettin - Denmark agrees to recognise the independence of Sweden and Sweden abandons its claim to Norway.Ivan IV (the Terrible), Tsar of Russia, oversees the Massacre of Novgorod.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
- Portrait of the Day: Augustus Pugin
19 December, 12:30