© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt Click on the links below to find out more
oil on canvas, circa 1705
36 in. x 28 1/4 in. (914 mm x 718 mm)
Given by the Art Fund, 1945
- Edmund Dunch (1657-1719), Whig politician and Master of the Royal Household to Queen Anne. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1678 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 83
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 116
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 189
The Act for the Naturalization of Princess Sophia, Electress of Hanover, following the Act of Settlement, 1701, ensures Sophia and her descendants, if Protestant, would succeed to the throne. The passing of the Alien Act in Parliament deems any Scot in England to be a foreign subject.
Art and science
Astronomer, Edmond Halley, publishes his celebrated work Synopsis astronomia cometicae
. Architect, Sir John Vanbrugh is appointed to design Blenheim Palace, a gift from the queen to John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough, in recognition of his victory against the French at Blindheim, Bavaria.
Charles Mordaunt, Earl of Peterborough having recently been appointed admiral alongside Sir Cloudesley Shovell, sails from England to fight a successful, though controversial campaign in Spain during the War of the Spanish Succession.