by Isaac Fuller
oil on canvas, circa 1670
49 1/2 in. x 39 1/2 in. (1257 mm x 1003 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Isaac Fuller (1606-1672), Painter. Sitter in 3 portraits, Artist associated with 12 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Isaac Fuller (1606-1672), Painter. Artist associated with 12 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The boy is likely to be one of Fuller's sons, Isaac or Nicholas, both of whom became painters.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 132
- Rideal, Liz, Insights: Self-portraits, 2005, p. 69
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 234
- Schama, Simon, The Face of Britain: The Nation Through its Portraits, 2015-09-15, p. 360
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1670back to top
Current affairsCharles II mistress, Barbara Villiers, is created Duchess of Cleveland and granted Nonsuch Palace including its sizeable grounds.
Actress and royal mistress, Nell Gwyn, gives birth to Charles II's son, Charles, who would later become, Duke of St. Albans.
Art and scienceTragicomedy, The Forc'd Marriage, by Aphra Behn, staged by the Duke's Company, starts Behn's career as a professional writer. The writer may have been a royalist spy towards the end of the interregnum.
Poet laureate, John Dryden, is made historiographer royal, a post he would hold for nearly 20 years.