by Unknown artist, background by Hendrik van Steenwyck
oil on canvas, circa 1635
85 in. x 53 1/4 in. (2159 mm x 1352 mm)
Given by Henry Louis Bischoffsheim, 1899
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Henrietta Maria (1609-1669), Queen of Charles I. Sitter associated with 87 portraits.
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
The architectural background which was painted first is probably by Hendrick van Steenwyck the younger.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Gibson, Robin, Treasures from the National Portrait Gallery, 1996, p. 39
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 161
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 68
- Ribeiro, Aileen; Blackman, Cally, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 86
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 295
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 80
Events of 1635back to top
Current affairsDiscovered by the Earl of Arundel, centenarian Thomas Parr dies, it is claimed, at the age of 152.Richard Weston, Earl of Portland dies. Though unpopular in the Commons, Portland was an effective Lord Chief Treasurer who succeeded in curbing royal expenditure.
Art and scienceDramatic poet, James Shirley composes The Traitor, dedicating it to literary patron, William Cavendish, Earl of Newcastle. Shirley would later assist Newcastle on a number of the earl's own plays, while benefiting from his patronage. Postal services are made available to the public.
InternationalAs a result of French first minister, Cardinal Richelieu's foreign policy, France becomes directly involved in the Thirty Years' War. Elector palatine, Charles Lewis, excluded from the peace of Prague between Emperor Ferdinand II and Electorate of Saxony, travels to England to secure military help from his uncle, Charles I.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
- Portrait of the Day: Augustus Pugin
19 December, 12:30