© National Portrait Gallery, London
William Holman Hunt
by John Ballantyne Click on the links below to find out more
oil on canvas, 1865
25 in. x 30 in. (635 mm x 763 mm)
- William Holman Hunt (1827-1910), Pre-Raphaelite painter. Sitter in 28 portraits, Artist of 2 portraits.
- John Ballantyne (1815-1897), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 9 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
This is one of a series of paintings of artists in their studios which Ballantyne exhibited in 1866.
- Marsh, Jan, Insights: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2005, p. 8
- Marsh, Jan, The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2013, p. 6
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 321
Elizabeth Garrett Anderson is the first female to be awarded a doctor's licence. She is also involved in collecting signatures for the Manchester Suffrage Committee, the first suffrage organisation, formed this year. John Stuart Mill was also elected to parliament this year on the platform of women's suffrage.Palmerston dies in October, and is replaced as leader of the Liberal government by his Foreign Secretary, Lord Russell.
Art and science
Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland
is published, inspired by Carroll's relationship (as Oxford don Sir Charles Dodgson) with his friend Henry George Liddell's daughter Alice.Matthew Arnold publishes the first series of Essays in Criticism
, a defining text in the development of English literature as an academic discipline.
In the American civil war, Robert E. Lee surrenders the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia to Ulysses S. Grant, leading to the surrender of the Confederacy's remaining field armies. A few days later, US President Abraham Lincoln is shot dead by Confederate sympathiser John Wilkes Booth. Later this year slavery is officially abolished after years of fierce campaigning. In response, the first branch of the Ku Klux Klan is founded on Christmas Eve.