reduced copy after Sir Joshua Reynolds
oil on canvas, (circa 1769)
17 3/4 in. x 15 1/4 in. (451 mm x 387 mm)
Given by T. Humphry Ward, 1906
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), Poet, critic and lexicographer. Sitter associated with 50 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
This portraitback to top
From early childhood, Johnson suffered from poor eyesight, especially in his left eye, which interfered with his education. There were somewhat contradictory reports about his eyesight from his contemporaries. He appeared to have been near-sighted, yet he did not use eyeglasses. His eyesight became worse with age; still, his handwriting remained quite legible, perhaps out of habit of writing.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 290
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 340
Exhibitions and displays
- Favourites: Art and Power, 1600-1800
Until 1 September