© National Portrait Gallery, London
Charles Robert Leslie
by John Partridge Click on the links below to find out more
oil on millboard, 1836
7 7/8 in. x 10 in. (200 mm x 254 mm)
Bequeathed by the widow of the artist's nephew, Sir Bernard Partridge, 1961
- Charles Robert Leslie (1794-1859), Painter and writer. Sitter in 7 portraits, Artist associated with 21 portraits.
- John Partridge (1789-1872), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 41 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Gayford, Martin; Lyles, Anne, Constable Portraits: The Painter and his Circle, 2009 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 March to 14 June 2009), p. 11
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 268
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 377
William Lovett founds the Working Men's Association, the precursor to Chartism, with the aim to achieving equal social and political rights between men of all classes. A reduction in stamp duty from 4d to 1d helps to keep unstamped newspapers off the street, and leads to wider circulation of legal newspapers. The first railway line is built in London, connecting to Greenwich and operated by the London Greenwich Railway (LGR).
Art and science
The American poet and writer Ralph Waldo Emerson outlines his theory of transcendentalism in Nature
, in which he argues for individualism above traditional authority, stressing the infinitude of the private self and the possibility of achieving an original relation to the universe. The German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer publishes On the Will in Nature
, a precursor to his famous The World as Will and Representation
Texas declares its independence from Mexico following a series of battles, including those at the Alamo and Goliad. Sam Houston is the first president of Texas, serving both in 1836-38 and 1841-44. The city of Adelaide is founded in Australia, at the mouth of the Torrens river, named in honour of Queen Adelaide, consort of William IV.