replica by George Frederic Watts
oil on canvas, 1873 (1873)
25 7/8 in. x 21 in. (657 mm x 533 mm)
Given by George Frederic Watts, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- James Martineau (1805-1900), Unitarian minister and writer. Sitter in 11 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Artist associated with 90 portraits, Sitter in 43 portraits.
This portraitback to top
A replica of the portrait commissioned by Martineau's old pupils at Manchester New College. Watts expressed pleasure in painting 'so good and distinguished a man as Mr. Martineau'.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 305
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 415
Events of 1873back to top
Current affairsThe public entertainment centre Alexandra Palace, designed by architect Owen Jones (associated with the Crystal Palace) and built between Wood Green and Muswell Hill in North London, burns down within sixteen days of opening. Named after Alexandra of Denmark, married to Prince Edward, the Prince of Wales, the palace was quickly rebuilt, and has since been used as a transmission centre for the BBC, and as a musical entertainment venue.
Art and scienceEdith Coleridge edits her late mother Sara Coleridge's Memoir and Letters. Sara, the daughter of the poet and philosopher Samuel Taylor Coleridge, was an author, translator and editor of her father's works.
InternationalInspired by prospectors' demands for better quality trousers during the 1850s Gold Rush, Levi Strauss develops a trouser made with twilled cotton cloth from France called 'serge de Nimes', later known as denim. This year, he patents the process of putting rivets in the trousers for strength, introducing 'blue jeans' to the world.
See this portrait
On display in Room 26 at the National Portrait Gallery
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- G.F. Watts Portraits: Fame & Beauty in Victorian Society
- The Watts Collection
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- Watts handlist
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron:
‘Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens’
- Victorian Portraits