replica by George Frederic Watts
oil on canvas, 1873 (1873)
25 7/8 in. x 21 in. (657 mm x 533 mm)
Given by George Frederic Watts, 1900
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- James Martineau (1805-1900), Unitarian minister and writer. Sitter in 11 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Artist associated with 85 portraits, Sitter in 42 portraits.
This portraitback to top
A replica of the portrait commissioned by Martineau's old pupils at Manchester New College. Watts expressed pleasure in painting 'so good and distinguished a man as Mr. Martineau'.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 305
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 415
- Visualising Portraits: William Morris in the Collection
27 November, 14:00
- Weekend Workshop: William Morris and His Legacy (Day One)
25 October, 11:00
- Weekend Workshop: William Morris and His Legacy (Day Two)
26 October, 11:00