by Thomas Phillips
oil on canvas, circa 1802-1803
29 in. x 24 in. (737 mm x 610 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Phillips (1770-1845), Portrait painter. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 215 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Thomas Phillips (1770-1845), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 215 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This self-portrait, brushes and palette in hand, in a neo-classical frame typical of the period, gives an insight into how the artist viewed his occupation and status, a visionary in tune with the individual men of genius of the time.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 493
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 69
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 389