by Jonathan Richardson
oil on canvas, circa 1737
24 1/8 in. x 18 in. (613 mm x 457 mm)
Given by Alfred Aaron de Pass, 1898
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Jonathan Richardson (1665-1745), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 120 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In a rococo frame of unusual design, perhaps originally intended for a pastel. More detailed information on this portrait is available in a National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue, John Kerslake's Early Georgian Portraits (1977, out of print).
Linked publicationsback to top
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 214
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery: An Illustrated Guide, 2000, p. 90
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery, 1997, p. 90
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 500
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 64
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 3