by Sir Joshua Reynolds
oil on canvas, 1780
36 in. x 28 in. (914 mm x 711 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- William Strahan (1715-1785), Printer and publisher. Sitter in 5 portraits, Artist associated with 3 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 447
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 594
- Uglow, Jenny, Character Sketches: Dr Johnson, His Club and Other Friends, 1998, p. 25
Events of 1780back to top
Current affairsAnti-Catholic mob led by Lord George Gordon marches on Parliament to protest against the Catholic Relief Act, leading to the outbreak of the Gordon Riots in London. Six days of rioting are ended by the intervention of troops, with 285 people shot dead.
Dunning's Motion in Parliament attacks the influence of the crown, suggesting that it has increased and ought to be diminished.
Art and scienceRoyal Academy moves to Somerset House on The Strand, London.
Mrs E. Johnson's British Gazette and Sunday Monitor, the first Sunday newspaper in Britain, begins publication.
Potter Josiah Wedgwood invents the pyrometer; a device used for measuring high temperatures.
InternationalAmerican War of Independence: British troops under Charles Cornwallis defeat American army under Horatio Gates at Camden, South Carolina. The capture of British army officer and spy John André yields proof that US general Benedict Arnold is in the pay of the British. André is executed in as a spy.
Second Anglo-Mysore War in India between Hyder Ali and the East India Company.
Bolshoi Theatre of opera and ballet is founded in Moscow.