Jacob Tonson II
Jacob Tonson II
by Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
oil on canvas, circa 1720
35 3/4 in. x 27 5/8 in. (908 mm x 702 mm)
Given by Sir Alec and Lady Martin through the Art Fund, 1959
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Jacob Tonson II (1682-1735), Publisher; nephew of Jacob Tonson I. Sitter in 1 portrait, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1682 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 293
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 31
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 619
Events of 1720back to top
Current affairsCollapse of the South Sea Company's shares causes financial crisis in London and ruins many investors. Their rapid inflation and the speculation mania it had encouraged become known as the South Sea Bubble. Charles Townshend, 2nd Viscount Townshend returns to the Whig ministry. Robert Walpole 1st Earl of Orford, who had resigned in 1717, also returns and restores public credit in December.
Art and scienceEntrepreneur Ralph Allen is appointed to take over the Cross and Bye Posts, which manage mail not going via London, leading to his eventual reform of the entire British postal system.History painter James Thornhill is appointed Serjeant Painter to the King and becomes the first British artist to receive a knighthood.
InternationalTreaty of the Hague signed between Britain, France, Austria, the Dutch Republic and Spain ending the War of the Quadruple Alliance.In Lhasa, the Dalai Lama accepts Chinese imperial protection, which lasts until 1911.Two political parties emerge in Sweden's parliament and become known as the Hats and the Caps.
- Portrait of the Day: Sir Isaac Newton
22 May, 12:30