Hon. William Windham
Hon. William Windham
by Sir Thomas Lawrence
oil on canvas, 1802-1803
29 in. x 24 in. (737 mm x 610 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Hon. William Windham (1750-1810), Politician; Secretary at War. Sitter associated with 50 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Probably Lawrence's first attempt to fulfil a commission from the City of Norwich for Windham's portrait after his defeat as their MP.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 670
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 366, 566
Events of 1802back to top
Current affairsAfter returning from Naples, Nelson tours England with the diplomat and antiquarian Sir William Hamilton and his wife Emma, with whom he was having an affair. With Nelson's status confirmed as a national hero, their reception outrivals that of the King.Extensive strikes in government shipyards led by John Gast.
Art and scienceFrancis Jeffrey, MP and arbiter of literary taste, co-founds the Edinburgh Review, the influential Whig quarterly which voiced strong criticism of Wordsworth, Coleridge and Southey.The Exchange, where stocks were traded, is rebuilt to cope with an increase in business during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars.
InternationalPeace of Amiens; Britain finally agrees to unpopular peace, leaving France the chief power in Europe and returning recent British colonial acquisitions.Napoleon is declared First Consul of the French Empire for life.English flock to see the international war plunder now on display at the Louvre in Paris.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Portrait of the Day: Caroline of Brunswick
10 December, 12:30