by Thomas Phillips
oil on canvas, 1835
36 in. x 28 1/8 in. (914 mm x 714 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- John Dalton (1766-1844), Chemist and pioneer in nuclear physics. Sitter in 15 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Thomas Phillips (1770-1845), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 215 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The portrait's frame is of a type frequently used by the artist.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Hart-Davis, Adam, Chain Reactions, 2000, p. 55
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 162
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 102