by Thomas Phillips
oil on canvas, 1835
36 in. x 28 1/8 in. (914 mm x 714 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- John Dalton (1766-1844), Chemist and pioneer in nuclear physics. Sitter in 15 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Thomas Phillips (1770-1845), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 215 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The portrait's frame is of a type frequently used by the artist.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Hart-Davis, Adam, Chain Reactions, 2000, p. 55
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 162
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 102
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1835back to top
Current affairsLord Melbourne, Whig, becomes Prime Minister following Peel's resignation. Melbourne's government took steps to suppress trade union activity, introducing legislation against 'illegal oaths', contributing to the failure of Robert Owen's Grand National Consolidated Trades' Union.
Art and scienceFelix Dujardin, the French biologist, reveals protoplasm.
Work on the enlargement and remodelling of Buckingham House to designs by the architect John Nash is completed, creating Buckingham Palace.