by Stuart Pearson Wright
oil on gesso on oak panel, 2000
6 in. x 3 3/4 in. (153 mm x 97 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Stuart Pearson Wright (1975-), Artist. Artist of 31 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
The portrait was made after six four-hour sittings in a dressing room at the Dominion Theatre during the matinée performances in which Cooper was not appearing.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 142
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's dressing room, Dominion Theatre, London)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
Events of 2000back to top
Current affairsThe world celebrates the start of a new millennium. Britain marks the occasion with a series of new buildings and landmarks including the Millennium Dome, the London Eye, the Millennium Bridge, and the Millennium Stadium. While the Dome was criticised by politicians and the public for wasting public funds, and the Bridge suffered initial stability problems, other projects have become major landscape and public attractions.
Art and scienceTate Modern opens as a national gallery of international modern art under the directorship of Nicholas Serota. The gallery, housed in the former Bankside Power Station, took the novel step of arranging the collection by theme rather than chronologically. As well as the collection galleries, Tate Modern has two large temporary exhibition spaces, and commissions installation projects for the enormous Turbine Hall.
InternationalBritish troops are deployed to Sierra Leone to establish order and evacuate foreign nationals from the country torn apart by civil war. Following a ceasefire President Kabbah declared the civil war officially over in 2002.George W. Bush becomes President of the United States after a close election where he lost the popular vote, but won the electoral vote thanks to a controversial Supreme Court decision on Florida.
Related shop items
- 500 Portraits: 25 Years of the BP Portrait Award
- The British Face DVD
- Home on the Range Mounted Print
- Rose Marie Mounted Print
- Teardrops in my Heart Mounted Print
- Teardrops Can Never Drown the Flame Mounted Print
- Thank you for the Music Mounted Print
- Together in Electric Dreams Mounted Print
- Woman Surprised by Werewolf Mounted Print
- Alas Poor Yorick Mounted Print