Sir Francis Grant
1 portrait matching these criteria:
- npg number matching '1286'
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Sir Francis Grant
by Sir Francis Grant
oil on canvas, circa 1845
29 7/8 in. x 24 7/8 in. (759 mm x 631 mm)
Given by the sitter's daughter, Miss Elizabeth Catherine Grant, 1901
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Francis Grant (1803-1878), Portrait painter and President of the Royal Academy. Sitter associated with 22 portraits, Artist associated with 101 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Francis Grant (1803-1878), Portrait painter and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 101 portraits, Sitter associated with 22 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 193
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 259
Events of 1845back to top
Current affairsCardinal Newman converts to Roman Catholicism. A leader of the Oxford movement , growing in influence since the 1820s, Newman had raised doubts about the authority of the Anglican church.
Ralph Etwall, MP for Andover, demands an inquiry into the administration of the Andover workhouse, which leads to the abolition of the Poor Law Commission, and resolution of Parliament to improve workhouse conditions.
Art and scienceThe American poet, short story writer, critic and leader of the American Romantic movement, Edgar Allan Poe, publishes his narrative poem 'The Raven'. The poem is a supernatural tale of a mysterious talking raven's visit to a distraught lover, who descends into madness, and explores themes of self-torture and obsession.
The reconstruction of Trafalgar Square, by architects John Nash and Sir Charles Barry, is completed.