1 of 22 portraits of George Abbot
after Unknown artist
oil on canvas, 1623
48 in. x 37 7/8 in. (1219 mm x 962 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- George Abbot (1562-1633), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter associated with 22 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 2
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 1
Events of 1623back to top
Current affairsCharles, Prince of Wales, accompanied by George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham, travel to Madrid incognito under the names Tom and Jack Smith, determined to secure a marriage with Infanta Maria Anna of Spain. They return to England unsuccessful to the relief of the nation.
Art and scienceThe First Folio of William Shakespeare's plays is published, dedicated to William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke and his brother, Philip Herbert, courtiers and patrons of the arts. Work begins on the Queen's Chapel, designated for Catholic worship, at St James's Palace to Inigo Jones's design.
InternationalAmboyna Massacre. Traders from the English East India Company are murdered by agents of the Dutch East India Company amid intense rivalry. Banker, Sir Thomas Vyner, acting as co-treasurer, receives compensation from the Dutch for those killed in the massacre.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
- Portrait of the Day: Augustus Pugin
19 December, 12:30