The Fine Arts Commissioners, 1846
2 of 17 portraits of Henry Pelham Fiennes Pelham-Clinton, 5th Duke of Newcastle-under-Lyne
The Fine Arts Commissioners, 1846
by John Partridge
oil on canvas, circa 1846-1853
74 in. x 145 in. (1880 mm x 3683 mm)
Given by John Partridge, 1872
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- John Partridge (1789-1872), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 41 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- George Hamilton Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen (1784-1860), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 47 portraits.
- Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1819-1861), Prince Consort of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 197 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Alexander Baring, 1st Baron Ashburton (1773-1848), Financier. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Sir Charles Barry (1795-1860), Architect. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Charles John Canning, Earl Canning (1812-1862), Governor-General and first viceroy of India. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- George William Frederick Howard, 7th Earl of Carlisle (1802-1864), Viceroy of Ireland. Sitter associated with 76 portraits.
- Nicholas William Ridley-Colborne, 1st Baron Colborne (1779-1854), Statesman and financier. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Sir Charles Lock Eastlake (1793-1865), Painter; President of the Royal Academy and Director of the National Gallery. Sitter associated with 15 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Charles Shaw-Lefevre, Viscount Eversley (1794-1888), Speaker of the House of Commons. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- Sir James Robert George Graham, 2nd Bt (1792-1861), Statesman; First Lord of the Admiralty. Sitter associated with 52 portraits.
- Peter Robert Drummond-Burrell (né Burrell), 2nd Baron Gwydyr, 22nd Baron Willoughby de Eresby (1782-1865), Politician; MP for Boston. Sitter associated with 6 portraits.
- Henry Hallam (1777-1859), Historian. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Sir Benjamin Hawes (1797-1862), Advocate for the arts and politician; MP for Lambeth and Kinsale. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Sir Robert Harry Inglis, 2nd Bt (1786-1855), Conservative politician; MP for Dundalk, Ripon and Oxford University. Sitter associated with 17 portraits.
- Henry Gally Knight (1786-1846), Writer on architecture. Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
- Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice, 3rd Marquess of Lansdowne (1780-1863), Politician, Home Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Lord President of the Council. Sitter associated with 73 portraits.
- John Singleton Copley, Baron Lyndhurst (1772-1863), Lord Chancellor and politician; son of the painter John Singleton Copley. Sitter associated with 76 portraits.
- Thomas Babington Macaulay, Baron Macaulay (1800-1859), Historian, poet and politician; MP for Calne, Leeds and Edinburgh. Sitter in 26 portraits.
- William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne (1779-1848), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 141 portraits.
- Henry Pelham Fiennes Pelham-Clinton, 5th Duke of Newcastle-under-Lyne (1811-1864), Politician; MP for several constituencies. Sitter in 17 portraits.
- Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784-1865), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 142 portraits.
- Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Bt (1788-1850), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 174 portraits.
- Samuel Rogers (1763-1855), Poet, banker and art connoisseur. Sitter in 23 portraits.
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter associated with 227 portraits.
- Philip Stanhope, 5th Earl Stanhope (1805-1875), Historian; founding member and first chairman of the Trustees of the National Portrait Gallery. Sitter in 23 portraits.
- George Granville Sutherland-Leveson-Gower, 2nd Duke of Sutherland (1786-1861), President of the British Institution. Sitter associated with 12 portraits.
- George Vivian (1798-1873), Artist. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Wyse (1791-1862), Irish politician and diplomat. Sitter associated with 8 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 546
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 704
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 421