The Coalition Ministry, 1854
3 of 297 portraits of William Ewart Gladstone
The Coalition Ministry, 1854
by Sir John Gilbert
pencil, pen and ink and wash, 1855
17 1/2 in. x 27 in. (445 mm x 686 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Sir John Gilbert (1817-1897), Painter and illustrator. Artist associated with 9 portraits, Sitter associated with 16 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- George Hamilton Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen (1784-1860), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 46 portraits.
- George Douglas Campbell, 8th Duke of Argyll (1823-1900), Politician; Lord Privy Seal and Secretary of State for India; writer on science, religion, and politics. Sitter in 30 portraits.
- George William Frederick Villiers, 4th Earl of Clarendon (1800-1870), Diplomat and politician; Foreign Secretary and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. Sitter associated with 15 portraits.
- Robert Monsey Rolfe, Baron Cranworth (1790-1868), Judge. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- William Ewart Gladstone (1809-1898), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter associated with 297 portraits.
- Sir James Robert George Graham, 2nd Bt (1792-1861), Statesman; First Lord of the Admiralty. Sitter associated with 52 portraits.
- Granville George Leveson-Gower, 2nd Earl Granville (1815-1891), Politician; Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and leader of the Liberal party. Sitter associated with 45 portraits.
- Sir George Grey, 2nd Bt (1799-1882), Home Secretary. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- Charles Wood, 1st Viscount Halifax (1800-1885), Politician; MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Secretary of State for India. Sitter in 26 portraits.
- Sidney Herbert, 1st Baron Herbert of Lea (1810-1861), War Secretary. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice, 3rd Marquess of Lansdowne (1780-1863), Politician; Home Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Lord President of the Council. Sitter associated with 73 portraits.
- Sir William Molesworth, 8th Bt (1810-1855), Politician; First Commissioner of Works and Colonial Secretary.. Sitter associated with 17 portraits.
- Henry Pelham Fiennes Pelham-Clinton, 5th Duke of Newcastle-under-Lyne (1811-1864), Politician; MP for several constituencies. Sitter in 16 portraits.
- Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784-1865), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 141 portraits.
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter associated with 225 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The coalition ministry, under the leadership of the Earl of Aberdeen, came to power in 1854. This engraving shows Aberdeen's cabinet deciding upon the expedition to the Crimea in the early months of that year. Palmerston, on the right, is seen pointing at the town of Balaclava on a map held open by the Duke of Newcastle, while Gladstone, on the left, holds a letter on his knee.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 550
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 711
Exhibitions and displays
- Painting Parliament: The Fine Arts Commission 1841 – 1863
Until 10 May 2015
- The World of Rupert Potter: Photographs of Beatrix, Millais and friends
Until 16 November