1 of 24 portraits of Joseph Addison
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
oil on canvas, circa 1712
36 in. x 28 in. (914 mm x 711 mm)
Given by the Art Fund, 1945
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1680 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 1
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 108
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 1
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 5
- Uglow, Jenny, Character Sketches: Dr Johnson, His Club and Other Friends, 1998, p. 5
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1712back to top
Current affairsWhig MP, Robert Walpole, Earl of Orford is found guilty by Parliament of 'a high breach of trust and notorious corruption', over reserving army forage contracts for banker, Robert Mann, and imprisoned in the Tower. Walpole would later become the first British Prime Minister in all but name in 1721.
Art and scienceMock epic poem, The Rape of the Lock, by satirical poet Alexander Pope is first published.
Ironmonger Thomas Newcomen demonstrates his invention of the atmospheric steam engine in London.
Charles Boyle, Earl of Orrery, commissions a mechanical solar system model from mechanic John Rowley who names it an orrery.