1 of 24 portraits of Joseph Addison
by Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
oil on canvas, circa 1703-1712
36 in. x 28 in. (914 mm x 711 mm)
Given by the Art Fund, 1945
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1681 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 1
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 108
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 1
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 5
- Uglow, Jenny, Character Sketches: Dr Johnson, His Club and Other Friends, 1998, p. 5
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1703back to top
Current affairsA great storm ravages southern England killing thousands at sea and wrecking several naval warships along the coast.The Scottish Parliament passes a Bill of Security stipulating that the successor to the Scottish throne is Protestant, descended from Scottish kings. It is vetoed by the English Parliament.
Art and scienceScholarly church historian, William Wake, publishes The State of the Church and Clergy of England, a history of English synods since Anglo-Saxon times. Sailing and Fighting Instructions for her Majesty's Fleet, by Admiral George Rooke provides the basis for English fleet tactics throughout the century.
InternationalDiplomat, John Methuen, negotiates commercial treaties between England and Portugal to facilitate trading relations. Portugal enters the grand alliance against France in the War of the Spanish Succession.
See this portrait
On display in Room 9 at the National Portrait Gallery