after Sir (Samuel) Luke Fildes
oil on canvas, 1920 (1894)
50 1/2 in. x 40 1/2 in. (1283 mm x 1029 mm)
Given by King George V, 1920
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Queen of Edward VII. Sitter associated with 426 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir (Samuel) Luke Fildes (1843-1927), Illustrator and genre and portrait painter. Artist associated with 13 portraits, Sitter in 14 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The portrait was commissioned and presented to the Gallery by her son George V in 1920 as a copy from the artist of the portrait originally painted in 1894 for his wedding. The dog, a Japanese Chin, is probably one called Punch, a particular favourite of Alexandra's.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Gibson, Robin, The Face in the Corner: Animal Portraits from the Collections of the National Portrait Gallery, 1998, p. 69
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 197
- Robin Gibson, Pets in Portraits, 2015, p. 105
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 9