by Sir Edwin Henry Landseer
oil on panel, 1836
24 in. x 17 3/4 in. (610 mm x 451 mm)
Given by Mrs C.R. Fox, 1873
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- John Allen (1771-1843), Historian and resident physician at Holland House. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Sir Edwin Henry Landseer (1802-1873), Painter. Artist associated with 54 portraits, Sitter in 21 portraits.
This portraitback to top
John Allen, the historian and Master of Dulwich College, was a member of the Holland House circle. This portrait was painted by Landseer early in 1836 while the artist was staying for a fortnight at Holland House, in Kensington. It was commissioned by Lord Holland as a present for his wife whose sixty-fifth birthday it was on the 25 March. Mrs Norton described the portrait as 'The best little picture of dear old Mr Allen that could be done if they tried for a century'. Painted in the chamber known as Allen's Room, Landseer has depicted the historian absorbed in his reading and surrounded by a pile of old books. To the left is a bronze cast of Edward Pierce's bust of Cromwell.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 9
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 5
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (Holland House, Kensington and chelsea, London)