The Royal Academy Conversazione, 1891
2 of 16 portraits of Marcus Clayton Stone
The Royal Academy Conversazione, 1891
by G. Grenville Manton
pen, ink and gouache, 1891
17 3/4 in. x 24 1/8 in. (450 mm x 614 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- G. Grenville Manton (1855-1932), Portrait painter and illustrator. Artist of 1 portrait.
Sittersback to top
- Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema (1836-1912), Painter. Sitter in 40 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits. (In this portrait)
- Mary Anderson (Mrs de Navarro) (1859-1940), Actress. Sitter in 53 portraits.
- Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones, 1st Bt (1833-1898), Painter and designer. Sitter in 24 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait. (In this portrait)
- Philip Hermogenes Calderon (1833-1898), Historical and genre painter. Sitter in 12 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits. (In this portrait)
- William Charles Thomas Dobson (1817-1898), Painter. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Rachel (née Gurney), Countess of Dudley (circa 1867-1920), First wife of 2nd Earl of Dudley; daughter of Charles Henry Gurney. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Thomas Faed (1826-1900), Genre painter. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- (Edward) Onslow Ford (1852-1901), Sculptor. Sitter in 10 portraits, Artist associated with 8 portraits. (In this portrait)
- Frederic Leighton, Baron Leighton (1830-1896), Painter; President of the Royal Academy. Sitter in 58 portraits, Artist associated with 7 portraits. (In this portrait)
- William Powell Frith (1819-1909), Painter. Sitter in 25 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits. (In this portrait)
- Sir Hubert von Herkomer (1849-1914), Painter and illustrator. Sitter in 11 portraits, Artist associated with 47 portraits. (In this portrait)
- John Callcott Horsley (1817-1903), Painter and Royal Academician. Sitter in 11 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits. (In this portrait)
- Sir Henry Irving (John Henry Brodribb) (1838-1905), Actor-manager. Sitter in 118 portraits.
- John Seymour Lucas (1849-1923), Historical and portrait painter. Sitter in 10 portraits, Artist associated with 6 portraits. (In this portrait)
- Robert Walker Macbeth (1848-1910), Painter and etcher. Sitter in 6 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Henry Stacy Marks (1829-1898), Painter. Sitter in 10 portraits. (In this portrait)
- Sir William Quiller Orchardson (1832-1910), Portrait and subject painter. Sitter associated with 19 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits. (In this portrait)
- Walter William Ouless (1848-1933), Portrait painter. Sitter in 11 portraits, Artist associated with 40 portraits.
- John Pettie (1839-1893), Painter. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 4 portraits. (In this portrait)
- Briton Riviere (1840-1920), Painter. Sitter in 17 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
- James Sant (1820-1916), Painter. Sitter in 15 portraits, Artist associated with 12 portraits. (In this portrait)
- Sir John Everett Millais, 1st Bt (1829-1896), Painter and President of the Royal Academy. Sitter in 74 portraits, Artist associated with 40 portraits. (In this portrait)
- Marion Harry Spielmann (1858-1948), Art historian. Sitter in 8 portraits. (In this portrait)
- Marcus Clayton Stone (1840-1921), Genre painter and illustrator; son of Frank Stone. Sitter in 16 portraits. (In this portrait)
- Dame Ellen Alice Terry (1847-1928), Actress. Sitter in 193 portraits. (In this portrait)
- Henry Tanworth Wells (1828-1903), Miniature and portrait painter. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 107 portraits. (In this portrait)
- William Frederick Yeames (1835-1918), Painter. Sitter in 8 portraits. (In this portrait)
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 717
Placesback to top
- Place portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (Royal Academy of Arts, Burlington House, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1891back to top
Current affairsThe Irish Nationalist leader Charles Parnell is forced to resign after being named in the divorce proceedings brought by William O'Shea against his wife Kitty, who had been Parnell's mistress for a decade. The scandal severely damages the campaign for the Home Rule Bill, contributing greatly to its subsequent failure. Parnell's health also suffered; he contracted rheumatic fever and died a few months after resigning.
Art and scienceThomas Hardy's publishes Tess of the D'Urbervilles, a tragedy which explores the consequences of the young Tess's seduction by the wealthy Alec D'Urberville. In the novel, Hardy sets forward his major concerns about the individual's powerlessness before fate, whilst radically critiquing the hypocritical double standards of contemporary morals.
InternationalThe construction of Trans-Siberian railway, the longest single rail system in Russia, begins in the Urals and at Vladivostock. Running between Moscow and Vladivostock, work was completed in 1917. The German aviation pioneer Otto Lilenthal takes off in the first glider from a hill near Potsdam, the first of many guided flights and an important step in the development of aerial technology.
Exhibitions and displays
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Fernando Meacci
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Sir Henry Irving
- A Celebration of Shakespeare
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- Frederic Leighton
- Only Connect - Frederic Leighton <> Joseph Joachim
- Height of Fashion with Lucinda Chambers, Fashion Director, British Vogue
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
Related shop items
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Ellen Terry Scarf
- Companion Series: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle
- Companion Series: Tennyson and his Circle
- Ellen Terry Magnetic Frame
- Anarchy & Beauty: William Morris and his legacy - 1860 - 1960
- Sargent: Portraits of Artists and Friends
- Vogue 100: A Century of Style
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- John Singer Sargent: Painting Friends
- Pets in Portraits
- Ellen Terry Glasses Case
- George Frederic Watts DVD
- Ellen Terry Keyring
- Ellen Terry Pocket Mirror
- Ellen Terry ('Choosing') by George Frederick Watts Mini-print
- Ellen Terry Mini Jigsaw
- Ellen Terry ('Choosing') by George Frederic Watts Postcards