1 portrait on display in Room 1 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Unknown English artist
oil on panel, late 16th century (circa 1533-1536)
21 3/8 in. x 16 3/8 in. (543 mm x 416 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Anne Boleyn (circa 1500-1536), Second Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 22 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This painting is probably based on a contemporary portrait which no longer survives. Boleyn was described as having a long neck, wide mouth and with 'eyes which were black and beautiful'. This portrait has recently undergone structural conservation following a successful fundraising campaign and the generous support of public donations.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Tudor Portraits Resource Pack, p. 17
- Bolland, Charlotte; Cooper, Tarnya, The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12th September 2014 to 1st March 2015), p. 38
- Clare Gittings, The National Portrait Gallery Book of Elizabeth I, 2006, p. 2
- Cooper, Tarnya (introduction) Banville, John (character sketch) Chevalier, Tracy (character sketch) Fellowes, Julian (character sketch) McCall Smith, Alexander (character sketch) Pratchett, Terry (character sketch) Singleton, Sarah (character sketch) Trollope, Joanna (character sketch) Waters, Minette (character sketch), Imagined Lives: Portraits of Unknown People, 2011 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from December 2011 - June 2012), p. 87
- Gittings, Clare, The National Portrait Gallery Book of The Tudors, 2006, p. 11
- MacLeod, Catharine, Tudor Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection, 1996, p. 17
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 14
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 5
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 35
- Williamson, David, The National Portrait Gallery: History of the Kings and Queens of England, 1998, p. 88
- Williamson, David, Kings and Queens, 2010, p. 88
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Double Take: versions and Copies of Tudor Portraits (25 June 2012 - 12 September 2012)
Events of 1533back to top
Current affairsKing Henry VIII secretly marries Anne Boleyn in January although his marriage to Catherine of Aragon is not annulled until May. Anne is crowned Queen in June.Pope Clement VII excommunicates Henry VII for bigamy. Princess Elizabeth (later Queen Elizabeth I) is born at Greenwich in SeptemberThomas Cranmer becomes Archbishop of Canterbury.
Art and scienceThe German artist Hans Holbein the Younger paints The Ambassadors.
InternationalPeace treaty between Ferdinand I, Archduke of Austria and Suleiman I, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire divides Hungary into areas under Hapsburg and Ottoman control. The Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro executes Atahulpa, emperor of the Incas, and marches on the Inca capital Cuzco (in present-day Peru).
See this portrait
On display in Room 1 at the National Portrait Gallery
- WebQuest: Henry VIII's Next Wife?
- Thank you for supporting the conservation of the portrait of Anne Boleyn
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- WebQuest: Henry VIII - Man Versus Myth
- Height of Fashion with Lucinda Chambers, Fashion Director, British Vogue
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Shakespeare quiz
- Conservation treatment of a portrait of Anne Boleyn
- Tudor pick up guides