© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Charles Boit Click on the links below to find out more
enamel on copper, circa 1705
1 3/4 in. x 1 1/2 in. (44 mm x 38 mm) oval
Transferred from National Gallery (originally Alan Evans Bequest), 1994
- Queen Anne (1665-1714), Reigned 1702-14. Sitter associated with 73 portraits.
- Charles Boit (1662-1727). Artist associated with 9 portraits.
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 8
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 14
- Walker, Richard, Miniatures: 300 Years of the English Miniature, 1998, p. 51
The Act for the Naturalization of Princess Sophia, Electress of Hanover, following the Act of Settlement, 1701, ensures Sophia and her descendants, if Protestant, would succeed to the throne. The passing of the Alien Act in Parliament deems any Scot in England to be a foreign subject.
Art and science
Astronomer, Edmond Halley, publishes his celebrated work Synopsis astronomia cometicae
. Architect, Sir John Vanbrugh is appointed to design Blenheim Palace, a gift from the queen to John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough, in recognition of his victory against the French at Blindheim, Bavaria.
Charles Mordaunt, Earl of Peterborough having recently been appointed admiral alongside Sir Cloudesley Shovell, sails from England to fight a successful, though controversial campaign in Spain during the War of the Spanish Succession.