1 of 17 portraits of Matthew Arnold
by George Frederic Watts
oil on canvas, 1880
26 in. x 20 1/2 in. (660 mm x 521 mm)
Given by George Frederic Watts, 1895
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Matthew Arnold (1822-1888), Poet, writer and inspector of schools. Sitter in 17 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Artist associated with 85 portraits, Sitter in 41 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Mrs Arnold records how Arnold and Watts had become close 'through the intercourse held during quiet hours, whilst Signor painted and Matthew Arnold sat for his portrait'. In a letter to Watts of 18 August, 1885, Arnold wrote of him as the 'highest and single-minded artist' he knew.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Funnell, Peter; Warner, Malcolm, Millais: Portraits, 1999 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 19 February to 6 June 1999), p. 28
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 18
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 74
See this portrait
On display in Room 26 at the National Portrait Gallery