by Antoine Claudet
daguerreotype, circa 1847-1851
2 3/4 in. x 2 3/8 in. (70 mm x 60 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Charles Babbage (1791-1871), Mathematician and computer pioneer. Sitter in 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Antoine Claudet (1797-1867), Photographer and inventor. Artist associated with 42 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Victorian Portraits Resource Pack, p. 19
- Cooper, John, Visitor's Guide, 2000, p. 81
- Funnell, Peter, Victorian Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection, 1996, p. 19
- Funnell, Peter (introduction); Marsh, Jan, A Guide to Victorian and Edwardian Portraits, 2011, p. 25
- Hart-Davis, Adam, Chain Reactions, 2000, p. 73
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 201
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 26