2 of 3 portraits of William Basil Percy Feilding, 7th Earl of Denbigh
by Sir George Hayter
pen and ink and wash, October 1820
2 1/2 in. x 8 in. (64 mm x 203 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Charles Powlett Townshend, 2nd Baron Bayning (1785-1823). Sitter in 2 portraits.
- William Basil Percy Feilding, 7th Earl of Denbigh (1796-1865), Peer and royal courtier. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Thomas Reynolds Moreton, 1st Earl of Ducie (1776-1840). Sitter in 2 portraits.
- George Child-Villiers, 5th Earl of Jersey (1773-1859), Master of the Horse to Queen Victoria. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Hugh Percy, 3rd Duke of Northumberland (1785-1847), Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland. Sitter in 12 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir George Hayter (1792-1871), Portrait and history painter; son of Charles Hayter. Artist associated with 198 portraits, Sitter associated with 16 portraits.
This portraitback to top
A sketch showing figures leaning over the right-hand gallery. The galleries were specially set up for the occasion by Sir John Soane.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The House of Lords and the House of Commons (1 July 2000 - 1 January 2001)
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1820back to top
Current affairsGeorge III dies at Kew on 29 January and George IV ascends to the throne.
'Trial of Queen Caroline' in the House of Lords; Parliament drops the Bill which was to legitimise a divorce between Caroline and George IV.
Cato Street Conspiracy to assassinate the cabinet discovered. Arthur Thistlewood and fellow conspirators are hung.
Art and scienceSir Thomas Lawrence becomes President of the Royal Academy.
Astronomical Society is set up by John Herschel and Charles Babbage.
First iron steamship is launched.
InternationalActor, Edmund Kean goes on a successful tour of America after making his name at the Drury Lane Theatre.
Revolutions begin in Spain, Portugal and Naples.
The famous ancient Greek statue of the Venus de Milo is rediscovered on the Island of Melos and purchased by the Louvre in Paris.