The Derby Cabinet of 1867
4 of 102 portraits of Edward Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby
The Derby Cabinet of 1867
by Henry Gales
30 in. x 47 1/2 in. (762 mm x 1207 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Benjamin Disraeli, Earl of Beaconsfield (1804-1881), Prime Minister and novelist. Sitter associated with 107 portraits.
- Richard Grenville, 3rd Duke of Buckingham and Chandos (1823-1889), Lieutenant, politician; MP for Buckinghamshire and Governor of Madras. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Frederick Thesiger, 1st Baron Chelmsford (1794-1878), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 15 portraits.
- Henry Thomas Lowry Corry (1803-1873), First Lord of the Admiralty and politician; MP for Tyrone. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Gathorne Gathorne-Hardy, 1st Earl of Cranbrook (1814-1906), Politician, Home Secretary and Secretary of State for War. Sitter in 29 portraits.
- Edward Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby (1799-1869), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 102 portraits.
- Edward Henry Stanley, 15th Earl of Derby (1826-1893), Politician, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and diarist. Sitter in 56 portraits.
- John Somerset Pakington, 1st Baron Hampton (1799-1880), Politician, First Lord of the Admiralty and Secretary of State for War. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- Stafford Henry Northcote, 1st Earl of Iddesleigh (1818-1887), Politician, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Secretary of State for India. Sitter in 31 portraits.
- James Howard Harris, 3rd Earl of Malmesbury (1807-1889), Statesman. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- John Winston Spencer Churchill, 7th Duke of Marlborough (1822-1883), Politician; MP for Woodstock; grandfather of Sir Winston Churchill.. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- Richard Southwell Bourke, 6th Earl of Mayo (1822-1872), Viceroy and Governor-General of India. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Charles Henry Gordon-Lennox, 6th Duke of Richmond, 6th Duke of Lennox and 1st Duke of Gordon (1818-1903), President of the Board of Trade, landowner and politician; MP for Sussex West. Sitter in 22 portraits.
- John James Robert Manners, 7th Duke of Rutland (1818-1906), Politician, First Commissioner of Works and MP for several constituencies. Sitter in 32 portraits.
- Spencer Horatio Walpole (1806-1898), Politician; Home Secretary. Sitter in 16 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Said to have been painted by Gales to a design by John Gilbert, this portrait represents the Conservative ministers sitting in consultation upon the question of the Abyssian expedition. The Prime Minister, the Earl of Derby stands at the head of the table addressing the cabinet; Disraeli stands at the other end of the table, paper in hand.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 721