King Edward VI and the Pope
5 of 45 portraits of King Edward VI
King Edward VI and the Pope
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, circa 1575
24 1/2 in. x 35 3/4 in. (622 mm x 908 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- John Russell, 1st Earl of Bedford (1486?-1555), Lord High Admiral. Sitter associated with 9 portraits.
- Thomas Cranmer (1489-1556), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter associated with 46 portraits.
- King Edward VI (1537-1553), Reigned 1547-53. Sitter associated with 45 portraits.
- King Henry VIII (1491-1547), Reigned 1509-47. Sitter associated with 91 portraits.
- John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland (1502?-1553), Lord Protector of Edward VI. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Somerset (1506?-1552), Known as 'The Protector'; statesman. Sitter associated with 15 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The painting was probably produced between 1568 and 1571, to commemorate the anti-papal policies of Edward VI and to celebrate the successful re-establishment of the Church of England under Elizabeth I. This painting shows Henry VIII on his deathbed (left), pointing towards his successor Edward VI. To the right of Edward are members of his council including the Protector, Lord Somerset, and John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland. In the inset (top right) is a scene of the destruction of holy images, and below Edward, the Pope is crushed by 'the worde of the Lord' - written in English. The blank white spaces may have been intended for further anti-Catholic inscriptions.
Conservation of this painting was supported by the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Art Conservation Project.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Bolland, Charlotte; Cooper, Tarnya, The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12th September 2014 to 1st March 2015), p. 85
- Cooper, John, Visitor's Guide, 2000, p. 20
- Cooper, Tarnya; Fraser, Antonia (foreword), A Guide to Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 2012, p. 5
- Gittings, Clare, The National Portrait Gallery Book of The Tudors, 2006, p. 15
- John Cooper, National Portrait Gallery Visitor's Guide, 2006, p. 20
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery: An Illustrated Guide, 2000, p. 41
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery, 1997, p. 41
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 719
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 21,294,344
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered (12 September 2014 - 1 March 2015)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Mediaback to top
Exhibitions and displays
- The Tudors Reimagined: George Perfect Harding
Until 17 January 2016
- BSL Gallery Tour: Picture in Focus: Sir Henry Unton
24 September, 19:30
- In Conversation: Painting in Britain 1500-1630: Production, Influences and Patronage
10 September, 19:00
Related shop items
- The Six Wives of Henry VIII Coaster Set
- Henry VIII Fridge Magnet
- KIng Henry VIII Jigsaw
- Henry VIII Cushion
- Henry VIII Bust
- Henry VIII Decoration
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits (paperback)
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Edward VI Cushion
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- Famous Faces Playing Cards
- King Henry VIII by Unknown Anglo-Netherlandish artist Postcards
- King Henry VIII after Hans Holbein the Younger Postcards
- King Edward VI by Workshop associated with 'Master John' Postcards