King Edward VI and the Pope
1 portrait of King Henry VIII
King Edward VI and the Pope
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, circa 1570
24 1/2 in. x 35 3/4 in. (622 mm x 908 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- John Russell, 1st Earl of Bedford (1486?-1555), Lord High Admiral. Sitter associated with 9 portraits.
- Thomas Cranmer (1489-1556), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter associated with 45 portraits.
- King Edward VI (1537-1553), Reigned 1547-53. Sitter associated with 45 portraits.
- King Henry VIII (1491-1547), Reigned 1509-47. Sitter associated with 91 portraits.
- John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland (1502?-1553), Lord Protector of Edward VI. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Somerset (1506?-1552), Known as 'The Protector'; statesman. Sitter associated with 14 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The painting was probably produced between 1568 and 1571, to commemorate the anti-papal policies of Edward VI and to celebrate the successful re-establishment of the Church of England under Elizabeth I. This painting shows Henry VIII on his deathbed (left), pointing towards his successor Edward VI. To the right of Edward are members of his council including the Protector, Lord Somerset, and John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland. In the inset (top right) is a scene of the destruction of holy images, and below Edward, the Pope is crushed by 'the worde of the Lord' - written in English. The blank white spaces may have been intended for further anti-Catholic inscriptions
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Cooper, John, Visitor's Guide, 2000, p. 20
- Cooper, Tarnya; Fraser, Antonia (foreword), A Guide to Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 2012, p. 5
- Gittings, Clare, The National Portrait Gallery Book of The Tudors, 2006, p. 15
- John Cooper, National Portrait Gallery Visitor's Guide, 2006, p. 20
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery: An Illustrated Guide, 2000, p. 41
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery, 1997, p. 41
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 719
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 21,294,344
Exhibitions and displays
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
From 12 September
- Portrait of the Day: Anne Boleyn
15 July, 12:00
- Portrait of the Day: John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester
19 July, 12:00
Related shop items
- Famous Faces Playing Cards
- The Six Wives of Henry VIII Coaster Set
- Monarchs Ruler
- Henry VIII Bust
- Searching for Shakespeare catalogue (hardback)
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits (paperback)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- In Search of a Masterpiece: An Art Lover's Guide to Great Britain & Ireland (hardcover)
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Henry VIII Fridge Magnet
- Henry VIII decoration