3 of 9 portraits of Jeremy Bentham
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Henry William Pickersgill
oil on canvas, exhibited 1829
80 1/2 in. x 54 1/2 in. (2044 mm x 1384 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Henry William Pickersgill (1782-1875), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 108 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 133
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 51
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 51
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 27
Events of 1829back to top
Current affairsMetropolitan police force of over three thousand paid, uniformed, professional policemen founded by Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel.
Roman Catholic Relief Act grants emancipation; Catholics admitted to vote, sit in parliament and hold almost all public offices.
Art and scienceSuccess of George Stephenson's Rocket steam engine at Rainhill Trials.
First London bus service licensed; the new 'box-on-wheels' contributes greatly to the expansion of the suburbs.
Apsley House completed for the Duke of Wellington by Benjamin Wyatt.
First Oxford and Cambridge boat race.