2 of 4 portraits of Charlotte Brontë
by George Richmond
23 5/8 in. x 18 3/4 in. (600 mm x 476 mm)
Bequeathed by the sitter's husband, Rev A.B. Nicholls, 1906
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Charlotte Brontë (Mrs A.B. Nicholls) (1816-1855), Novelist. Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Richmond (1809-1896), Portrait painter and draughtsman; son of Thomas Richmond. Artist associated with 325 portraits, Sitter in 14 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Brontë's publisher, George Smith, commissioned this portrait of the novelist from Richmond as a gift for her father, who saw in it 'strong indications of the genius of the author'. Elizabeth Gaskell recalled seeing the portrait hung in the parlour of the Haworth parsonage, and a copy of it appeared in her biography.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 59
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 206
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 78