5 of 52 portraits of Robert Browning
by George Frederic Watts
oil on canvas, 1866
26 1/8 in. x 21 1/8 in. (664 mm x 538 mm)
Given by George Frederic Watts, 1895
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Robert Browning (1812-1889), Poet; husband of Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Sitter in 52 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Artist associated with 90 portraits, Sitter in 43 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 71
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 83
Events of 1866back to top
Current affairsAfter the failure of Lord Russell's premiership due to party disuniity, the Earl of Derby begins his third, brief, term as Prime Minister. Dr Thomas Barnardo opens the first of his children's homes in the East End of London to care for children left orphaned by the recent cholera outbreak. The charity, now called Barnado's, is still running, although it has changed its focus from the direct care of children to fostering and adoption.
Art and scienceAlgernon Charles Swinburne causes controversy by publishing his volume of verse, Poems and Ballads, in which he challenges Victorian moral and religious values. The poems were attacked for their anti-Christianity and sensuality.The botanist Gregor Mendel discovers laws of heredity, after cross-breeding pea-plants, observing how inherited traits are passed on to succeeding generations, laying the foundations for modern genetics.
InternationalThe Peace of Prague is signed following the end of the Austro-Prussian war. Although lenient towards Austria, the loser, Austria's refusal to cede Venetia to Napoleon III, and in turn Italy, resulted in the Hapsburg's permanent exclusion from German affairs. Prussia thus establishes herself as the only major power among the German states.A Civil Rights Act is passed in the US, guaranteeing the legal rights of freed slaves.
See this portrait
On display at Bodelwyddan Castle
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- G.F. Watts Portraits: Fame & Beauty in Victorian Society
- The Watts Collection
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- Watts handlist
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron:
‘Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens’
- Victorian Portraits
Related shop items
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Companion Series: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle
- Companion Series: Tennyson and his Circle
- Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision Catalogue (Paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- George Frederic Watts DVD
- Ellen Terry ('Choosing') by George Frederick Watts Mini-print