© National Portrait Gallery, London
by John Smart Click on the links below to find out more
watercolour and bodycolour on ivory, 1776
1 1/2 in. x 1 1/4 in. (38 mm x 32 mm) oval
- James Bruce (1730-1794), Explorer. Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
- John Smart (1741-1811), Miniature painter. Artist associated with 20 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 75
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 84
- Walker, Richard, Miniatures: 300 Years of the English Miniature, 1998, p. 77
Tahitian visitor to London Omai returns home with Captain James Cook on his third voyage. During his two-year stay he inspired a play and was painted by Joshua Reynolds. Member of Parliament David Hartley unsuccessfully introduces a motion to the House of Commons calling for the abolition of the slave trade.
Art and science
Edward Gibbon produces the first volume of his monumental The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
.Artist John Constable is born. Scottish economist Adam Smith analyses the nature and causes of prosperity in his magnum opus The Wealth of Nations
American War of Independence: George Washington raises a new American flag on Prospect Hill, Boston. In an anonymous pamphlet entitled Common Sense
, English immigrant Thomas Paine is the first to argue that the American colonies should be independent. Declaration of American Independence on 4 July.