- Extended Catalogue Entry
by James Jacques Tissot
oil on panel, 1870
19 5/8 in. x 24 in. (500 mm x 610 mm) overall
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Frederick Gustavus Burnaby (1842-1885), Soldier, traveller and balloonist. Sitter in 10 portraits.
Artistback to top
- James Jacques Tissot (1836-1902), French painter and printmaker. Artist of 67 portraits.
This portraitback to top
An officer of the Royal Horse Guards with a gift for languages and a penchant for travel and exploration, Burnaby became renowned both for his exploits and his writings about them. A Ride to Khiva (1876), the narrative of a journey on horseback across three thousand miles of the Russian steppes in winter, and On Horseback through Asia Minor (1877), which described a tour of Asia Minor during which he fought on behalf of the Turks against the Russians, were both best-sellers. A huge man, nearly two metres (six feet four inches) tall, he was reputed to be the strongest man in the British army and was said to have once carried a pony under one arm. He was painted by Tissot in his uniform as a captain in the 3rd Household Cavalry.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Victorian Portraits Resource Pack, p. 24
- Funnell, Peter, Victorian Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection, 1996, p. 24
- Funnell, Peter (introduction); Marsh, Jan, A Guide to Victorian and Edwardian Portraits, 2011, p. 56
- Gibson, Robin, Treasures from the National Portrait Gallery, 1996, p. 94
- Howgate, Sarah (introduction) Auping, Michael (appreciation) Richardson, John (appreciation), Lucian Freud: Portraits, 2012 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 9 February to 28 May 2012), p. 16
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 235
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 126
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery: An Illustrated Guide, 2000, p. 138
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery, 1997, p. 138
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 90
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 156