1 portrait on display in Room 18 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Alexander Nasmyth
oil on canvas, circa 1821-1822 (1787)
16 in. x 11 1/2 in. (406 mm x 292 mm)
Given by John Dillon, 1858
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Alexander Nasmyth (1758-1840), Painter and scientist. Artist associated with 6 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Nasmyth, a landscape artist, painted the first version of this portrait in 1787. He was commissioned to make this copy by George Thomson, a collector of Scottish songs, in 1820.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 30
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 63
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 83
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 91
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 45