Julia Margaret Cameron
1 of 8 portraits of Julia Margaret Cameron
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Julia Margaret Cameron
by George Frederic Watts
oil on canvas, 1850-1852
24 in. x 20 in. (610 mm x 508 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Julia Margaret Cameron (1815-1879), Pioneer photographer. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 113 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Artist associated with 91 portraits, Sitter in 43 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Birkett, Dea; Morris, Jan (foreword), Off the Beaten Track: Three Centuries of Women Travellers, 2004 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 7 July to 31 October 2004), p. 112
- Marsh, Jan, The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2013, p. 83
- Marsh, Jan, Insights: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle, 2005, p. 79
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 98
Events of 1850back to top
Current affairsCardinal Wiseman, a Catholic priest who had exerted a strong influence on the Oxford movement, is made a Cardinal and leader of the Catholic church in England, thus restoring Roman Catholic hierarchy in England.
Art and scienceDeath of poet laureate William Wordsworth; his great autobiographical poem The Prelude is published posthumously, famously charting the growth of the poet's mind.
Tennyson's In Memoriam is also published. A poignant record of his grief over the death of his friend Arthur Hallam, the poem also movingly questions the strength of faith in an increasingly scientific age.
InternationalUp to 50,000 pioneers travel west in wagons on the Oregon trail in the United States, one of the main overland migration routes across the continent. Spanning over half the continent, the trail led 2,170 miles through territories and land which would later become six US states, including Kansas, Wyoming and Oregon, helping the US to implement its goal of Manifest Destiny - building a nation spanning the North American continent.
See this portrait
On display in Room 26 at the National Portrait Gallery
Exhibitions and displays
- Julia Margaret Cameron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Julia Margaret Cameron:
'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- G.F. Watts Portraits: Fame & Beauty in Victorian Society
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- The Watts Collection
- Watts handlist
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield