6 of 47 portraits of George Canning
by Sir Thomas Lawrence
oil on canvas, 1825
93 3/4 in. x 58 in. (2381 mm x 1473 mm)
Given by Henry George Charles Lascelles, 6th Earl of Harewood, 1919
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Lawrence depicts Canning declaiming in the House of Commons. One supporter saw it and recalled his spirit-rousing 'Portugal' speech: 'Here I plant my standard and where the standard of Britain is planted no oppressor can ever come!' However Burdett, an opponent, thought him posed 'like an actor standing before a glass rehearsing a part.'
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Cox, Paul, Wellington: Triumphs, Politics and Passions, 2015 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12 March - 7 June 2015), p. 100
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 99
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 100
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 100
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 94
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1825back to top
Current affairsStrikes, contract breaking and worker intimidation prompt the passing of a new Anti-Trade Union Combination Act to the dismay of economist John McCulloch, MP Joseph Hume and radical Francis Place who had worked for the repeal of the previous year. Catholic Relief Bill is rejected by the House of Lords.
Art and scienceConstruction of Thames Tunnel begins under the direction of Marc Isambard Brunel.Stockton to Darlington Railway, the world's first passenger system, opens.William Hazlitt publishes The Spirit of the Age; twenty-five pen-portraits of his contemporaries in the world of literature, philosophy and politics.
InternationalBeethoven's Ninth Symphony premieres in London. John Quincy Adams is elected President of the United States.
See this portrait
On display in Room 20 at the National Portrait Gallery
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- The Regency