6 of 78 portraits of Thomas Carlyle
by Julia Margaret Cameron
albumen print, 1867
13 1/8 in. x 9 1/2 in. (333 mm x 241 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881), Historian and essayist. Sitter associated with 78 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Julia Margaret Cameron (1815-1879), Pioneer photographer. Artist associated with 112 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Hamilton, Peter; Hargreaves, Roger, The Beautiful and the Damned: The Creation of Identity in Nineteenth Century Portrait Photography, 2001 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 6 June to 7 October 2001), p. 52
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 223
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 104
Exhibitions and displays
- Thomas Carlyle: Historian of Heroes
Until 30 March 2015