8 of 78 portraits of Thomas Carlyle
by George Frederic Watts
oil on canvas, 1868
26 in. x 21 in. (660 mm x 533 mm)
Given by George Frederic Watts, 1895
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881), Historian and essayist. Sitter associated with 78 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Artist associated with 85 portraits, Sitter in 42 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Carlyle famously complained of Watts's portrait that it was decidedly the most insufferable picture that has yet been made of me, a delirious looking mountebank full of violence, awkardness, atrocity, and stupidity...the fault of Watts is a passionate pursuit of strength.
Linked publicationsback to top
Exhibitions and displays
- Thomas Carlyle: Historian of Heroes
Until 30 March 2015
- Visualising Portraits: William Morris in the Collection
27 November, 14:00
- Weekend Workshop: William Morris and His Legacy (Day One)
25 October, 11:00
- Weekend Workshop: William Morris and His Legacy (Day Two)
26 October, 11:00
See this portrait
On display in Room 26 at the National Portrait Gallery