9 of 78 portraits of Thomas Carlyle
by Sir George Scharf
pen and ink, 1874
7 in. x 4 3/8 in. (178 mm x 111 mm)
Bequeathed by Sir George Scharf, 1895
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881), Historian and essayist. Sitter associated with 78 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir George Scharf (1820-1895), Artist and art historian; first Director of the National Portrait Gallery. Artist associated with 79 portraits, Sitter in 79 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 90
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 104
Exhibitions and displays
- Thomas Carlyle: Historian of Heroes
Until 30 March 2015