9 of 82 portraits of Thomas Carlyle
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Sir George Scharf
pen and ink, 1874
7 in. x 4 3/8 in. (178 mm x 111 mm)
Bequeathed by Sir George Scharf, 1895
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881), Historian and essayist. Sitter associated with 82 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir George Scharf (1820-1895), Artist and art historian; first Director of the National Portrait Gallery. Artist associated with 80 portraits, Sitter in 79 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 90
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 104
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Thomas Carlyle: Historian of Heroes (14 July 2014 - 30 March 2015)
Events of 1874back to top
Current affairsDisraeli becomes Prime Minister for the second time, winning the general election and giving the Conservative party its first absolute majority since the 1840s.
Professional opportunities for women develop, with the opening of the London School of Economics to women, the foundation of the London School of Medicine for Women and the Women's Protective and Provident League.