12 of 81 portraits of Thomas Carlyle
by Sir John Everett Millais, 1st Bt
oil on canvas, 1877
46 in. x 34 3/4 in. (1168 mm x 883 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881), Historian and essayist. Sitter associated with 81 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir John Everett Millais, 1st Bt (1829-1896), Painter and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 40 portraits, Sitter in 74 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Funnell, Peter; Warner, Malcolm, Millais: Portraits, 1999 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 19 February to 6 June 1999), p. 165
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 87
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 226
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 104
See this portrait
On display at Bodelwyddan Castle