1 of 82 portraits of Thomas Carlyle
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Edward Matthew Ward
pen and ink
4 in. x 2 1/2 in. (102 mm x 64 mm)
Given by Walter Bennett, 1936
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881), Historian and essayist. Sitter associated with 82 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Edward Matthew Ward (1816-1879), History painter. Artist associated with 10 portraits, Sitter in 16 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 90
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 103
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Thomas Carlyle: Historian of Heroes (14 July 2014 - 30 March 2015)
Events of 1825back to top
Current affairsStrikes, contract breaking and worker intimidation prompt the passing of a new Anti-Trade Union Combination Act to the dismay of economist John McCulloch, MP Joseph Hume and radical Francis Place who had worked for the repeal of the previous year.
Catholic Relief Bill is rejected by the House of Lords.
Art and scienceConstruction of Thames Tunnel begins under the direction of Marc Isambard Brunel.
Stockton to Darlington Railway, the world's first passenger system, opens.
William Hazlitt publishes The Spirit of the Age; twenty-five pen-portraits of his contemporaries in the world of literature, philosophy and politics.
InternationalBeethoven's Ninth Symphony premieres in London.
John Quincy Adams is elected President of the United States.