by Sir William Beechey
oil on canvas, after 1790
50 in. x 39 5/8 in. (1270 mm x 1005 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Sir William Beechey (1753-1839), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 250 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Beechey's portrait is a conventional celebration of a professional life. Aged seventy-six, Carr is posed with plans and drawings of his successful project for Buxton Crescent. The distant view is of the spire of St Peter's, Horbury, the church Carr built in his native Yorkshire village.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 92
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 141
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 106
Placesback to top
- Place portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Yorkshire (St Peter's Church, Horbury, Wakefield, Yorkshire)